Friday, December 8, 2017

Final Project

For the final project, I continued the political/war project from my tin type work. I expanded on the Afghan War images to include images from World War 2, the Vietnam War, and the Civil War. The 15 tins were all arranged into a collage to force the viewers to look at and read each individual plate. Showing the images this way makes the project seem more complete than if they were separated by war category.

Artist Statement

Tintypes were commonly used during the Civil War era to capture portraits of soldiers who were fighting in the war. I did the same, but I showed images of the Iraq/Afghanistan war instead. The images often showed children as well to show the trauma of fighting on their home soil. Text quotes were added to shed some light on the circumstances at hand. One of the Tin’s, Untitled 1, is a copy of a newspaper article discussing the war.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Salt Print Project

Artist Statement

The intention of this project was to create a series of images that illustrated two different time periods. Using Photoshop and special inkjet paper, I created colored print to imitate 60's Polaroids or color film scans. I even added discoloration and film scratches for added effect. The salt prints were created to make the images look even older than that. I added some experimentation as well to show aging and inconsistencies on the salt prints. Most of the festival images gathered were from the early 2000's.





Friday, September 22, 2017

Cyanotype Assignment. 2017

Researching cyanotypes, I found that old architectural blueprints were also made using the same method. For this project, I researched and found archival architectural blueprints that I appropriated for my assignment. I altered these schematics by changing the name, location, date, and materials of the buildings drawn to present day landmarks. The most difficult portion of the series was to create consistency in the process itself. I may continue this project by enlarging just one blueprint as an entire sheet. The problem I faced was that they were too small and not all of the alterations could be easily seen.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

The initial image of a horse statue is meant to be hidden within the puzzle the piece creates. The image was split into 12 4x5 tile plates. It was then altered by moving around the tiles in a puzzle format. The inspiration for this came from an old computer puzzle game where tiles are mixed up by sliding them up, down, right, or left. The image left just enough for the viewer’s eye to connect the images and know what is being shown.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

These images were made on tintype's using a wet collodian process. The project shows images from the Vietnam war that were not released through the regular media. One of these images is also a scan of a newspaper article from the same time.

These prints where made using the salt printing method as well as using multiple exposures in each. Each image consists of a Civil War cemetery and the image of a child overplayed on top of the image. It depicts the ghosts of those who lost their lives as a result to the war, and not from fighting within it.